Provisions of Refuse Contract
The City of Sycamore has approved a refuse contract with Waste Management that offers the citizens of Sycamore the following benefits and services:
Free 96 gallon cart
As mentioned below, the new refuse contract calls for a free 96 gallon cart for each home. New home owner’s please note the “toter service” as it calls for new homes to be issued a cart.
Recycling Bin Program
In an effort to promote recycling of materials with remaining useful life, the new contract provides that if anyone moves into a home and finds that there is not a recycling bin, they will be issued one at no charge.
If you should have any questions regarding your curbside collection service or if you should experience any collection problem, please contact Waste Management at 1-800-964-8988.
Each residence will receive one 96-gallon toter for refuse to be serviced once a week. Senior citizens 65 years of age or better may elect to have a 35-gallon toter in lieu of the 96-gallon toter. As new homes are built and occupied, new homeowners will be furnished with one 96-gallon toter. The toter will remain the property of Waste Management. Each toter has a unique serial number and is assigned to a specific address in the city.
Refuse Collection Guidelines
- Collection days will remain the same.
- Household refuse and yardwaste will be collected between 7:00 AM and 6:00 PM on your normally scheduled collection day. Construction, inclement weather or other conditions may warrant collection to start as early as 6:00 AM. Residents will be notified by either construction notice, social media, or via the City’s and Waste Management’s website. Please have all items, (refuse, recycling, and yardwaste), out by 7:00 AM on normally scheduled collection day. Separate trucks on different schedules pick up refuse, recycling, and yardwaste, so each of these discarded materials may be picked up at different times of the day.
- Items for collection may be placed at the curb after 6:00 PM on the day before your scheduled pick up. Residents must remove containers from the curb by 8:00 PM on the day of collection.
- Collection shall be once a week for each residential dwelling unit. Scheduled pick up days that fall on or after a legal holiday shall be one day late following the holiday that week. For the purpose of this contract the following holidays will be observed:
- New Year’s Day
- Labor Day
- Memorial Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Independence Day
- Christmas Day
- Refuse in excess of the 96-gallon toter may be placed in 32-gallon cans (not to exceed 50 lbs.) alongside the toter on collection day, un-containerized bags will not be collected.
Household Waste Collection
- Maximum container size, 32-gallons. (for refuse in excess of 96-gallon toter)
- 50-pound weight limit per 32-gallon container.
- Do not mix household refuse with yardwaste. Mixed refuse and yardwaste cannot be collected.
- Bulk Items, up to two (2) bulk items per week that are too large to fit into an approved 32-gallon container will be collected if set out on collection day.
- Carpet Rolls, up to ten (10) rolls per week, carpet must either be rolled and tied in bundles weighing less than fifty (50) pounds, up to four (4) feet in length and up to twenty-four (24) inches in diameter, or placed in 32-gallon containers weighing up to fifty (50) pounds to be collected.
- Appliances containing CFC or HCFC, PCB’s, Mercury switches or other hazardous components (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, humidifiers, etc.) are banned from landfill disposal. There is a separate fee for each appliance, please call customer service at 1-800-964-8988 to arrange collection. A separate truck will collect white goods in order for them to be processed in accordance with State Law.
- Do it yourself construction or demolition debris, up to four (4) cans or bundles per week, must either be placed in bundles weighing less than fifty (50) pounds, up to four (4) feet in length and up to twenty-four (24) inches in diameter, or placed in 32-gallon containers weighing up to fifty (50) pounds to be collected.
- Special Collections, One (1) cubic yard shall be the minimum amount of refuse required for a special collection. The Contractor shall advise the resident directly of the terms of special collections; i.e. what materials will be collected; how the materials should be prepared; the date of collection; the policy of providing advance estimates of charges.
- Special collection will be COD. Contact Waste Management Customer Service for details at 1-800-964-8988.
- Household products that are flammable, toxic, corrosive, or reactive can pose a harmful threat or damage the environment when disposed of improperly. Items like waste paint, pesticides, poisons, cleaning solvents, household batteries, tainted gasoline, used oil, and other automobile fluids are considered to be Household Hazardous Waste, (HHW), and should not be included with your refuse for disposal.
- Yardwaste is collected at the curb from the first of April through the end of November.
- Maximum 33-gallon biodegradable Kraft paper bag, (plastic bags are not acceptable for yardwaste or leaves).
- 50-pound weight limit per biodegradable Kraft paper bag and/or bundle.
- Brush and tree trimmings must be bundled and tied with biodegradable twine or string in distinct piles that are no longer than four (4) feet in length and twenty-four (24) inches in diameter weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Christmas trees will be collected from Christmas through the end of January. Christmas trees must be free of all decorations and cannot be in plastic bags.
- Residents are encouraged to compost landscape waste materials rather than dispose of them at the curb.
Recycling Collection Guidelines
Waste Management Recycle Often Recycle Right Guidelines (A guide to recycle properly)
- There is no limit to the number of recycling containers that you may set out for collection.
- New construction homeowners should call Waste Management to have toters delivered to the property.
Residents are issued a recycling toter.
- Additional recycling toters may be purchased from Waste Management by calling Customer Service at 1-800-964-8988; Waste Management will deliver your new container to your home.
- Waste Management would prefer nothing be written on the toters, however an address can be written in the case where there are multiple units.
- Paper items need to be separated from commingled items by being placed in paper grocery type bags and placed at the bottom of the recycle bin to help avoid blowing of paper.
- Do not put recyclable materials in plastic bags.
- All recyclable materials should be rinsed free of food with caps/lids removed; by rinsing recyclable containers you reduce attracting unwanted insects.
- Cardboard must be cut into 2’ x 2’ squares.
Preparation of Materials
- aluminum cans, foil and formed containers
- steel or tin cans
- NO scrap metal
- bottles and jars only
- brown, green and clear glass
- NO mirrors, window glass, Pyrex, dishes or light bulbs
- Pet (#1) Plastic Bottles and Rigid Containers
- 1 & 2 liter soda bottles
- plastic flower pots
- plastic plates and trays
- HDPE (#2) Plastic Bottles and Rigid Containers
- laundry detergent containers
- milk and water bottles
- margarine tubs
- baby wipe containers
- plastic cups
- NO motor oil, anti-freeze, pool chemicals, or hazardous waste containers
- NO containers larger than one gallon
- PVC (#3) Plastic Bottles and Rigid Containers
- cooking oil bottles
- shampoo bottles
- LDPE (#4) Plastic Bottles and Rigid Containers
- squeeze mustard bottles
- shampoo bottles
- PP (#5) Plastic Bottles and Rigid Containers
- deli containers
- cosmetic containers
- all inserts accepted
- Magazines and Catalogs
- glossy and non-glossy accepted
- Telephone Directories
- Kraft Brown Paper Bags
- Corrugated Cardboard
- cardboard must be cut into 2’ x 2’ squares
- Paperboard (Chipboard)
- cereal boxes
- tissue boxes
- pasta boxes
- clothing boxes
- Wet Strength Carrier Stock
- frozen food packages
- carriers for soda and beer
- Junk Mail
- greeting cards
- window envelopes
- post cards
- Mixed Paper
- post-it notes
- typing paper
- notebook paper
- computer paper
- bond envelopes
- Must be placed in sandwich bag and placed next to recycle bin
Residents with questions regarding the refuse, recycling and yardwaste service or experience any problem may contact Waste Management directly at:
780 N. Kirk Road
Batavia, IL 60510