In accordance with the Clean Water Act, the City of Sycamore holds an MS4 (Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System) permit. The MS4 permit regulates the quality of water that is deposited into storm City water systems and local waterbodies. One of the many conditions of the MS4 permit is that any person or entity intending to disturb or excavate a site larger than one acre must have an NPDES No. ILR10 permit, or commonly referred to as a “ILR 10 permit”. Additionally, any person or entity disturbing a site that is not covered by an NPDES ILR10 permit is still required to employ Best Management Practices (BMP’s) and perform weekly inspections in accordance with the provisions of the NPDES ILR 10 permit. Most notably, the ILR 10 permit requires the following:
- A stormwater pollution prevention plan, or SWPPP plan, must be submitted to, reviewed and approved by the City Engineer.
- BMP’s must be selected, implemented and maintained in order to control stormwater runoff from the site.
- Regular inspections of the site must be performed to ensure that all BMP’s are in working condition.
Please contact the City Engineer at (815) 895-4557 with questions regarding NPDES requirements.
The NPDES No. ILR10 permit can be viewed at www.epa.state.il.us/ and a field manual intended for use as a technical reference for those involved in the implementation and inspection of BMP’s is available at www.aiswcd.org/illinois-urban-manual/ium-gallery/. A copy of the City’s specific soil erosion requirements can also be viewed at (pdf).
For requirements and instructions on developing a Stormwater Plan please visit the Sycamore Municipal Code, Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) and other applicable ordinances as identified on Page 6-1 of the UDO
- SYCAMORE NPDES MS-4 2019-2020
- Stormwater Management Plan – Draft
- Sycamore Annual Facility Inspection 2020-2021
- Sycamore Annual Facility Inspection 2019-2020
- Sycamore Annual Facility Inspection 2018-2019
- Sycamore Annual Facility Inspection 2017-2018
- Sycamore Annual Facility Inspection 2016-2017
Forms and Information
- Illicit Discharge Incident
- Emergency Response
- Draining Swimming Pools
- Soil Erosion Control Checklist
- Roadway Bridge Inspection Checklist
- Pond Inspection Form
- Outfall Inspection Form
- Utility Atlas (Storm Sewer Map)