The City’s vision is accomplished through planning, directing and implementing growth and economic development in conjunction with the Sycamore Comprehensive Plan and Unified Development Ordinance. These functions are handled by the City Manager and the Director of Community Development.
Director of Community Development – John Sauter
The Community Development Department consists of two divisions: the Building and Zoning Division and the Property Maintenance Division
Building and Zoning Division
The Building Division is responsible for issuing building permits for all types of construction, including new residential, commercial and industrial construction, additions and alterations to existing buildings, accessory structures and property maintenance projects. The Building Division also performs all building inspections, enforces all zoning regulations within the City and works in conjunction with the Sycamore Police Department to ensure compliance with the City’s property maintenance code.
- Should an Inspector be presented with a Customer who is visibly sick, coughing or sneezing, the Inspector will leave the premises immediately and the inspection will be rescheduled for another time.
- During inspections, all individuals present at the inspection are asked to wear masks or face shields and practice proper social distancing. Additionally, no more than 10 people should be present at any inspection.
- When/if possible, please limit the individuals present at the inspection to essential personnel. This would typically include the General Contractor or their agent and respective trade personnel.
- If an Inspector encounters a situation they deem unsafe, the Inspector will leave the premises immediately and report the incident. We will then contact the Customer to make appropriate arrangements for the inspection.
Submittals & Information
- Our office is open to the public for inquiries, drop-offs, etc. In-person meetings are being scheduled by appointment only unless it is an emergency. If you require an in-person meeting, please call (815) 895-4434 to schedule. Masks or face shields and proper social distancing are required for all in-person meetings within the Community Development Department.
- We are encouraging Customers to e-mail permit submittals in either 8 ½ x 11 or 11 x 17 format. Larger submittals must be submitted in hard copy format. Hard copy submittals may be left in the file hanger to the left as you enter our foyer OR you can use the exterior drop box to the left of our front/exterior door.
We appreciate your patience and cooperation during this unique situation and we will continue to do our best to process requests in a timely manner.
Please call (815) 895-4434 should you have questions or require additional information.