The City’s vision is accomplished through planning, directing and implementing growth and economic development in conjunction with the Sycamore Comprehensive Plan and Unified Development Ordinance. These functions are handled by the City Manager and the Director of Community Development.
Director of Community Development – John Sauter
The Community Development Department consists of two divisions: the Building and Zoning Division and the Property Maitenance Division
Building and Zoning Division
The Building Division is responsible for issuing building permits for all types of construction, including new residential, commercial and industrial construction, additions and alterations to existing buildings, accessory structures and property maintenance projects. The Building Division also performs all building inspections, enforces all zoning regulations within the City and works in conjunction with the Sycamore Police Department to ensure compliance with the City’s property maintenance code.
BUILDING INSPECTION AND SUBMITTAL CHANGES DUE TO COVID-19
Effective immediately, the Sycamore Community Development Department will be performing building inspections and accepting submittals with the following conditions:
- To protect employees, residents and contractors, inspections in occupied homes will be performed on a case-by-case basis until further notice. If you require an inspection within an occupied home, please contact us at 815-895-4434 to discuss.
- Person-to-person meetings are being scheduled by appointment only unless it is an emergency. If you require a person-to-person meeting, please call 815-895-4434 to schedule. Masks or face shields and proper social distancing are required for all person-to-person meetings.
- Should an Inspector be presented with a Customer who is visibly sick, coughing or sneezing, the Inspector will leave the premises immediately and the inspection will be rescheduled for another time.
- During inspections, all individuals present at the inspection are asked to maintain a minimum six foot separation from each other. Additionally, no more than 10 people should be present at any inspection.
- When/if possible, please limit the individuals present at the inspection to essential personnel. This would typically include the General Contractor or their agent and respective trade personnel.
- If an Inspector encounters a situation they deem unsafe, the Inspector will leave the premises immediately and report the incident. We will then contact the Customer to make appropriate arrangements for the inspection.
- Access to the Community Development office area is limited to Community Development Personnel only until further notice. The foyer is still open to the public to accept submittals and allow Customers to access the various permit applications and brochures.
- Person-to-person meetings are being scheduled by appointment only unless it is an emergency. If you require a person-to-person meeting, please call 815-895-4434 to schedule. Masks or face shields and proper social distancing are required for all person-to-person meetings within the Community Development Department.
- Under the circumstances, we are encouraging Customers to e-mail permit submittals; generally smaller (8 ½ x 11 or 11 x 17 format). Larger submittals (plan sets, construction manuals, submittals with more than 5 pages) must still be submitted in hard copy format.
- Hard copy submittals should be left in the file hanger – to the left as you enter our front/exterior door OR you can use the exterior drop box to the left of our front/exterior door.
We appreciate your patience and cooperation during this unique situation. If we all work together, we can continue to move things forward with some semblance of normalcy. However, we all need to understand that certain precautions are necessary that may result in additional steps and require more time than before. Rest assured, our current plan is to keep forging ahead as much as we are able to in order to service our customers.
Please call 815-895-4434 if you have questions.