What is a City Manager?
More than 85% of U.S. cities with a population over 2,500 have a professional manager. The City of Sycamore is a Council-Manager form of government. This is similar to a corporate structure, where the board of directors, called a City Council, determines the direction and oversees its Chief Executive Officer, called a City Manager.
Who is the City Manager?
Michael Hall is the current City Manager for the City of Sycamore and was appointed on January 3rd, 2022. He has over 16 years’ experience in municipal government and over 10 years of experience working in leadership positions in the corporate world. He holds a master’s degree in Public Administration from the University of Utah and a bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Colorado State University.
Michael believes that successful leadership is built upon the foundations of compassion, making a difference, and teamwork.
What are the City Manager’s goals?
- Technology Improvements: Technology helps make employees more efficient and effective. It helps make citizens’ experiences easier and keeps them well-informed and engaged.
- Long-Term Financial Stability: Long-term financial stability, evident through improved financial reserves, annual audits, conservative financial forecasting, implementation of comprehensive financial policies, and appropriate investment in capital infrastructure.
- Improved Capital Infrastructure: Well-maintained municipal buildings, roadways, vehicles, water, sewer, and municipal facilities.
- Robust Economic Development: A robust economic development through collaborative efforts with commercial property owners, business owners, and developers so that all commercial districts are functioning at their highest and best use, contributing to the tax base, and helping to achieve the City’s vision and goals.
- Community Engagement: Dynamic community engagement evident through meaningful communication and dialog between the City, its residents, business owners, city centers and advisory groups.
The Business Office is responsible for records control, accounting, ambulance billing, and working with the Finance Director to assure conformity and timeliness in financial reporting.
CLICK HERE to view the City’s Financial Documents.