The Sycamore Fire Department is a combination department and has both career and paid on-call firefighters. We have minimum eligibility requirements for both positions.
The Sycamore Fire Department is now accepting applications for the position of Paid on Call (POC) Firefighter
Paid on call (POC) firefighters are considered part-time staffing of the Sycamore Fire Department. POC Firefighters supplement Sycamore’s career/full-time firefighting and emergency medical response companies during call-backs when additional staffing is required by directly participating in fire, rescue, and emergency medical operations. POC Firefighters fight fires; respond to fire alarms; support technical rescue incidents, vehicle extrications, hazardous material incidents; and medical emergencies. POC Firefighters also help staff public education or community events.
Applications are available from March 1 – March 29, 2019.
Applications will be available at the Sycamore Fire Department, 535 DeKalb Avenue, Sycamore, IL between 8 am to noon, and 1 pm to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. Any questions concerning the position, please call 815-895-4514.
Completed applications are to be returned to the Sycamore Fire Department at the location and times listed above.
The application deadline is 4 pm on Friday, March 29, 2019.
In order to be considered for this position, the applicant must meet the following criteria at the time of application:
- Must be at least 18 years old;
- Must show proof of a high school diploma or GED;
- Must show proof of status as a permanent legal resident of the City of Sycamore or Sycamore Fire Protection District;
- Must have a valid Illinois Driver’s License;
- Be able to pass a medical examination including drug screening;
- Be able to pass a criminal background investigation;
- Must show proof of a current CPAT card with ladder climb exercise dated within 3 months after date of hire;
- Serve a 12 month probationary period after successful completion of “trainee” requirements;
- Paid on call (POC) firefighters hired after May 1, 2014 shall agree to a two year commitment.
- Paid on call (POC) firefighters hired after May 1, 2014 must maintain domicile within the City of Sycamore or Sycamore Fire Protection District.
During the first year of employment or until the trainee requirements are met, a newly employed Paid on call (POC) Firefighter is considered a Paid on call POC Firefighter – trainee.
During this transitional period, the POC Firefighter – trainee agrees to the following:
- Successfully complete the OSFM Basic Operations Firefighter certification at his/her cost (tuition/time).
- Successfully complete the IDPH Emergency Medical Technician – Basic school at his/her cost (tuition/time).
During the trainee period, the POC Firefighter – trainee may participate in the following activities:
- May participate with all fire/EMS training in an unpaid capacity.
- May report to Department recalls in an unpaid capacity.
- May participate in other approved Department activities in an unpaid capacity.
The intent of the program is for the POC Firefighter – trainee to obtain the required basic training within the first nine months. If the POC Firefighter – trainee cannot schedule and complete the above within the nine month window, the Fire Chief or his designee can elect to extend the trainee period for an additional three months. However, if POC Firefighter – trainee cannot obtain the training within the prescribed time period, he/she may be terminated as a member of the Fire Department.
Once the POC Firefighter – trainee has received certification as a OSFM Basic Firefighter (Firefighter II) and has received licensure as an IDPH Emergency Medical Technician – Basic, then the POC Firefighter – trainee shall be reclassified as a Probationary POC Firefighter and the twelve month probationary period (with four evaluations) will begin.
During the 12 month probationary period, the Probationary POC Firefighter may participate in the following:
- May participate with all eligible required training/continuing training in a paid capacity.
- May report to Department recalls in a paid capacity.
- May participate in the additional requirements listed below.
The Probationary POC Firefighter shall be required to successfully complete the following OSFM certifications before the completion of the 2 year commitment:
- Fire Service Vehicle Operator (FSVO).
- Hazardous Materials Awareness.
- Technical Rescue Awareness.
Any additional “elective” training (i.e. paramedic course or fire service certification courses) pursued by the Probationary POC Firefighter or POC Firefighter may be attended at his/her cost.
Paid on call (POC) firefighters hired after May 1, 2014, must maintain their domicile within the City of Sycamore or Sycamore Fire Protection District.
In addition to the above criteria, appointed Sycamore Fire Department Paid on call Firefighters are required as a condition of employment to meet the following additional requirements:
- Must complete a minimum of 24 hours of fire training (2 hours/month x 12 months = 24 hours) per calendar year (generally one drill per month).
- EMT-B’s must complete a minimum of 60 hours of required EMS continuing education within four years to maintain the EMT-B license. Therefore, an EMT-B must complete 15 hours of required EMS continuing education annually.
- EMT-P’s must complete a minimum of 100 hours of required EMS continuing education within four years to maintain the EMT-P license. Therefore, an EMT-P must complete 25 hours of required EMS continuing education annually. (Approximately 2 – hours/month x 12 months = 24 hours per calendar year).
- Must complete required meetings or trainings as needed (examples – blood borne pathogen, CPR, annual SCBA training, and annual consumption drill).
- Must complete 48 hours of ride time (24 paid/24 unpaid) annually with shift personnel.
- Must participate in a minimum of 12 activities per year. Activities can include emergency call backs (Department recall), public education details, Pumpkin Fest or other city festivals requiring a FD presence or Department approved related activity.
If a Paid on call Firefighter fails to meet any of the above requirements, he/she may be terminated as a member of the Fire Department.
Career Firefighter EMT-P Information
The Sycamore Fire and Police Commission maintains a Firefighter-Paramedic eligibility list which is good for two years. The current list will expire on October 4, 2020.
In order to be considered for a career Firefighter/Paramedic position, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Must be at least 21 years old or no more than 35 years old
- Must show proof of a high school diploma or GED
- Must show proof of certification as a Firefighter II (or new Basic Certification) with the Office of the State Fire Marshal
- Must show proof of certification as an Emergency Medical Technician Advanced (Paramedic) with the Illinois Department of Public Health
- Must provide a certified current college transcript (if listing college courses or experience)
- Must be a permanent, legal resident of the USA
- Must have a valid Illinois Driver’s License
- Be able to pass a medical examination including drug screening
- Be able to pass a criminal background investigation
- Must show proof of current CPAT test, demonstrating completion of the CPAT examination not more than 12 months prior to application
The eligibility list testing is composed of the following elements:
- Mandatory orientation
- Written Examination
- Initial Oral Test by Board
- Proof of physical agility test
- Establishment of Preference Points
Once the final eligibility list is established, the list is posted and remains in place for two years or the list is exhausted.
Once a conditional offer of employment is tendered, the applicant(s) are further examined with the following:
- Polygraph Test
- Background Investigation
- Final Oral Test by Board
- Psychological/Behavioral Analysis
- Medical and Drug Screening Tests